The Secretary of the Oriental Ceramic Society, London
The Society has existed since 1921 and today has around 750 members who enjoy lectures, visits and occasional travel in their specialist subject – the art of Asia, with a focus on ceramics, and especially Chinese and Japanese ceramics. Membership is very international, and the Society is particularly keen to connect with younger students and collectors around the world. Managing digital media will be a central part of the role. In 2021, our centenary year, the Society plans an ambitious programme and wants to develop existing communications to reach new audiences. From October to December 2021, the exhibition ‘Collectors, Curators, Connoisseurs: 100 Years of the Oriental Ceramic Society’ will take place at the Brunei Gallery, London.
The Society’s secretary, Mary Painter, will step down in late 2020. The Council of the Society is seeking a well-qualified person to succeed Mary, as we move into our centenary year. The position is part-time (normally 20 hours per week) and hours are decided by agreement; the Secretary formally reports to the President of the Society; and the principal duties are as follows:
- Support the President and Council; act as company secretary for the Oriental Ceramic Society.
- Arrange and minute Council meetings and the Annual General Meeting, and other meetings as required. After each AGM, write to new Council members and update Council details on Companies House and Charities Commission websites.
- Manage the Society’s digital presence (currently Facebook and Instagram) and the Society’s website
- Manage subscriptions, Gift Aid arrangements, the society’s bank account, invoices to creditors, payment of invoices submitted by suppliers.
- Manage the distribution of the Transactions, email correspondence with members and enquirers, and other correspondence as required. Invite auction houses and dealers to advertise in Transactions and the annual Newsletter and liaise with printers.
- Prepare, with support from accountants, the Society’s annual accounts for the formal approval of the Treasurer, publication on the Society’s website and submission to Companies House and the Charities Commission; produce management budget reports for Council meetings.
- Liaise with speakers and venues to arrange lecture meetings, including online lectures. (Lectures normally take place monthly, with a summer break from July to September. Technical support for online lectures is available.) Correspond with auction houses and other supporters for annual sponsorship of lectures.
- Administration for visits and tours offered to members.
- Manage the Society’s records and library, currently in storage.
The person appointed will have strong administrative skills; a pleasant manner in dealing with members, lecturers and contacts; and the ability to manage the Society’s finances promptly and accurately. Demonstrable competence in digital communications is required, or willingness to develop the relevant skills, including website content, social media, bulk email and online event management, as well as familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Zoom. Interest in Asian
art and museums, auction houses, dealers and collectors will also be an advantage. High ethical standards and trustworthiness around finance and personal data are required. Evidence of how experience and skills have been acquired will be required, and references will be taken up.
We expect that the person appointed will principally work from home. Salary will be around £17,000 for a part-time role, and home office expenses will be covered.
Applications should be sent to OCS Council member, Clive Jacotine, marked ‘In confidence: OCS’, and should include a CV, a letter explaining the candidate’s interest in the post and highlighting relevant skills and experience, and the names of two referees. Clive’s email address is
The Oriental Ceramic Society values equality, diversity and inclusion. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome.
The deadline for receiving applications is 30 October 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to attend a zoom interview in November.